The Bavarian Experience
Next Trip: Our group had a wonderful time in the Bavarian Alps in June 2009, and we hope to return in the future. Let us know if you’re interested in The Bavarian Experience.
We’ll spend this week in the mountain region of southern Germany, about an hour from Munich. Our base for The Bavarian Experience is the attractive alpine village of Garmisch, located at the foot of the Zugspitze, the highest mountain in Germany (seen above). Garmisch was the Winter Olympics site in 1936 and is famous for its winter sports. It’s equally famous for its summertime beauty; the mountains are green and lush and easily accessible by mountain train and cable cars. This area is also known for the incredible storybook castles of King Ludwig II.
This area has a special connection for us, since Kathy was born in Munich and lived as a small child in a village about two hours from Garmisch. We’ve visited here many times.
Highlights of this week include:
- The villages of Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Oberammergau, including a tour of Oberammergau’s famous Passion Play theater
- The castles of King Ludwig: Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, and Linderhof
- The top of the Eckbauer for magnificent views, easy walking, and a hearty mountain lunch
- The Partnach gorge, one of the most beautiful in the Alps
- The massive Zugspitze, where we’ll still find snow in June
- The open-air museum at Glentleiten, a look at rural life in Bavaria
- An evening at a beer hall featuring traditional Bavarian music
Optional day trips may include an excursion over the mountain to Innsbruck, Austria; a trip by train to Munich; or a trip to another of King Ludwig’s castles– Herrenchiemsee. Garmisch has a wide variety of shops and restaurants for travelers who decide to enjoy a day on their own; bikes are available for rental.
We’ll meet our group at the Garmisch train station, a 1-1/2 hour trip from Munich and a short walk from our guesthouse. There are several daily flights to and from the USA to Munich, and Munich is an ideal city to explore before joining us for the week.